Broadcast messages can be sent to all contacts who are subscribed to your mobile SMS lists. These broadcast messages are used to drive engagement and sales by sending timely and relevant messages. These new messages can be sent as an SMS message, or MMS message, which allows you to include images and larger amounts of content. You can also send data acquisition messages, which allows you to collect additional information, such as name or email address.
To create a new campaign, follow the steps below:
1. From the SMS Home Dashboard click New Campaign button.
2. Click the Broadcast SMS card.
You can now begin creating the message by following the setup wizard.
1. On the left sidebar, give the message a name.
2. Select the list to send to from the drop-down.
3. If desired, add a filter to send to a portion of the selected list.
4. If creating a data acquisition campaign, select the checkbox and the profile field from the drop-down in the Additional Message Options section.
💡 This campaign type will automatically add a filter to target contacts with the
empty profile field.
1. Adjust the Campaign Type drop-down, if necessary.
2. Add the Listrak Campaign Name.
3. Then add the Listrak Campaign Version.
4. In the Google Analytics section, add a Campaign Name.
5. Then, add the Campaign Content.
6. Click Continue.
When composing a message, the experience will be determined by the type of message you are creating.
Composing a Broadcast SMS or MMS Message
1. Add text into the subject line field (optional).
▪️ Subject Line will always be bold, at the top of the message, above any
attachment and/or text.
▪️ The message will automatically become an MMS Message.
2. Add the text into the Message Content section. Your program name will be pre-populated at the beginning of the Message Content section. This is based on the setting at the Short Code level.
💡 For SMS messages over 160 characters, convert two or more SMS messages into one MMS message using the "Convert to MMS" call-to-action to combine a message which is over 160 characters.
2. If sending an MMS message, use the Attach File option to select an image or other media file to include in the message.
💡 Learn more about tricks for creating an MMS Attachment.
💡 Final message character count will depend on the length of the information
in a contact's profile.
4. To add a coupon to the message, check the coupon checkbox and select a coupon pool from the drop-down.
5. If adding a coupon, add the coupon personalization tag from the personalization drop-down to the SMS or MMS message in the Compose section.
6. If desired, paste the default compliance language into the message. SMS subscribers should receive these messages at least once a month. The compliance language is set in the short code settings.
💡 Using the compliance checkbox enables a new filter type to send messages to those who have not received a message with this language in a specific timeframe.
Composing a Data Acquisition Campaign
Broadcast data acquisition campaigns allow you to collect additional information about your mobile subscribers by asking your subscribes to provide additional information.
When creating these messages, the contact's reply of the information you are collecting (eg: email address) will appear in the preview to show the experience your contact's will have with these messages.
1. Add the text of message asking for a contact to provide additional information into the Acquisition Message section. Include important information, such as format. Your program name will be pre-populated at the beginning of the Acquisition Message section. This is based on the setting at the Short Code level.
2. If desired, use the add personalization option to select the personalization to include in a message.
💡 Final message count will depend on the length of the information in a
3. In the Confirmation Message section add the text of the message a contact would receive if they provide the information you asked for. Contacts have 24 hours to respond to the acquisition message.
4. If including an incentive to provide information, you can enable a coupon by checking the checkbox and selecting a coupon pool.
💡 Don't forget to add the coupon from the personalization drop-down in the
5. If desired, paste the default compliance language into the message. SMS subscribers should receive these messages at least once a month. The compliance language is set in the short code settings.
Tips & Reminders
When a subscriber is replying to your acquisition message, their response will depend on the type of data you are collecting. Below are the formats for the different data types:
- Text = Any text string
- Number Format = 1, 2, 3 etc.
- Checkbox Format = Yes/No, Y/N
- Date Format = MM/DD/YYYY
If a subscriber responds in the incorrect format or with a response that does not make sense in the flow they may trigger one of Listrak's system messages.
- Invalid Reply Response system messages are sent when the response does not make sense - for example, if you ask for an email address and somebody replies with 17554
- Failure Response system messages are sent to subscribers when the Invalid Reply Response was triggered more than 3 times.
- Learn more about how System Messages work.
Once you have drafted your message, click continue to schedule the message.
Review & Send
On the Review & Send page you can confirm the settings of your message. Click on the Edit button to edit any of the configuration options.
Once you have confirmed your settings you are ready to send or schedule a message. There are three options when scheduling a message:
- Send Immediately: Send the message now.
- Schedule a One-Time Send: Schedule the message to be sent at a future time. This message will be sent once at the date and time you specify. You can use send time optimization to send at a certain time in a contact's time zone.
- Schedule Recurring Send: Send this message at the same time every X number of days, weeks, or months. You can configure the days of the week or month as well as an end date in the settings.
TIP: Schedule a recurring data acquisition campaign to automate collecting new data about subscribers.
Confirm the message settings. A popup will appear asking you if you want to send now or schedule the message, depending on the setting you have selected. Clicking this button will finalize the scheduling or start the sending of the broadcast message.
Testing and Managing Messages
At any time during the creation process you can use the options at the bottom of the sidebar to: