We’re excited to announce a new tool for segmenting contacts to deliver highly targeted marketing campaigns! Target groups of contacts with dynamic segments based on similar interests and preferences, purchase and website behavior, and message engagement with an easier-to-use interface.
Two important things to note:
- Legacy Filter will still be available until you’re ready to transition to New Filter builder.
- We’d love your feedback! Submit your thoughts and ideas in the Feature Ideas area in your account. We want to make this the best segmentation tool you’ve ever used.
Interested in learning more about using Segment Filter 2.0 in your email marketing program? Contact your Account Manager for more information!
SEGMENT FILTER 2.0 SETUP
- Navigate from the home menu to Authoring.
- Go to New Message.
- Scroll down to the Legacy Filter Settings.
- Select New Filter BETA tab.
- Click the Create Segment button.
Start building a rule by selecting a criteria from the dropdown. Segments can be defined with contacts' interests and preferences data, purchase and website behavior, and message engagement.
See the New Filter Criteria Guide for the full list of criteria and definitions.
After selecting the criteria, choose the appropriate Operators to further refine the segment that will receive the email message.
NOTE: Message filters cannot exceed 20 rules, including the rules within each saved segment applied to a filter.
- Relative: Is Today, Is More Than, Is Exactly, Is Less Than, Is Between, Is Not Between
- Absolute: Is After, Is On, Is Before, Is Between, Is Not Between
- State: Is Unknown, Has Any Value
- Single: Is Greater Than, Is Greater Than or Equal To, Is Less Than, Is Less Than or Equal To, Is Equal To, Is Not Equal To, Is in the Comma Delimited List, Is Not in the Comma Delimited List
- Range: Is Between, Is Not Between
- State: Contact Has or Has Not done something
- Value: Is, Is Not, Starts With, Ends With, Contains, Does Not Contain, Is in the Comma Delimited List, Is Not in the Comma Delimited List
- State: Is Unknown, Has Any Value
EMAIL LIST AND MERCHANT SELECT
Some criteria require selecting a data source such as Email Activity and Purchase History that require Email List selection and Merchant selection respectively.
- Email List: Choose to use information from the current list, or information that is an aggregate of all lists.
- Merchant: Select the appropriate Merchant. This automatically populates if you have the Merchant selected as Default in Manage > List > List Settings
RULES AND GROUPS
You have the flexibility when building Segments to change logic at a click of a button by toggling between the AND/OR operators, either within a group or between groups. Learn more about how and when to inverse filter operators with common examples.
There are a few guidelines to keep in mind when creating your custom segment, such as:
- The operator selected between groups will be universal for that particular segment
- The operator selected within a single group will be universal for that group
- A different operator can be used in a new group within the same segment
TIP: Use the x to clear a rule, or use the Clear button at the top to Clear the entire segment.
Click the Update Count button at any time to get a count of the number of contacts that match the defined rules.
When the segment build is complete, click Apply and view the segment summary and contact count. To make additional changes, click the Edit button. When complete continue authoring the email message.
SAVE A SEGMENT FOR REUSE
Email segments can be saved so that they can be quickly applied to an email and reused across messages, which reduces time consuming and redundant setup of the same segment rules while maintaining consistency and organization across marketing campaigns. Learn More