The Import List Wizard allows you to either Subscribe a list of contacts or Unsubscribe a list of contacts all at once. You can add multiple contacts to a list at one time using the List Import Wizard. If you only want to subscribe or unsubscribe an individual contact, use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe feature. The Import List Wizard requires a minimum of two contacts on your file to import.
It's best to set up your segmentation prior to importing your list. Examples of segmentation fields include first name, last name, and preferences. However, you can add segments during the import process as well as noted below. Acceptable import file formats include:
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
- Zip file (.zip)
- Plain text (.txt, .csv)
NOTE: You can also import your existing Salesforce or Omniture contacts. Learn how by reading Import Contacts from Salesforce.
1. Navigate from the home menu to Contacts.
2. Then Import List Wizard.
Your screen should look like this:
3. Choose between a One-Time Import or Recurring Import
- If you are performing a One-Time Import, move on to step 4
- If you are configuring a Recurring Import:
1. Select an existing FTP integration from the drop-down
2. Enter an expected File Name, which may include wildcard characters denoted by asterisks (*)
If you have already enabled the setting to import contacts directly from Salesforce, your screen will look like this instead:
4. Choose the purpose of your import from the below selections. To learn the difference between these options, read Import List Wizard Types.
- Add/Update Subscribers
- Update Existing Subscribers
- Unsubscribe Contacts
- Unsubscribe Contacts and Delete Personal Data
5. Select your file and click Choose File.
6. Navigate to your file via the pop-up prompt.
7. Select the file you'd like to import.
After you have uploaded your list, you can either subscribe, update, or unsubscribe these contacts.
SUBSCRIBE OR UPDATE CONTACTS
To subscribe a list of contacts, you can use either "Add/Update Subscribers" or "Update Existing Subscribers." Both options take you to the same screen.
- After you have selected the file you'd like to import, select whether you want to Add/Update Subscribers or Update Existing Subscribers.
- Click Next Step.
SEGMENT DATA SETTINGS
In the segment data settings, you have multiple options. These will vary depending on the type of file you are importing and are explained below.
- Does the first line of this file contain column names? The first question is in place to establish whether or your file starts with column headers. You can either define column headers, like email, first name, last name, or you can leave them undefined. Most people define column headers simply for consistency.
- Does the file contain text qualifiers? This question will only appear with a text file import and asks if your file contains text qualifiers. Listrak gives you three options: no text qualifiers, single quotes as a text qualifier, use double quotes as text qualifiers. Learn more in the article Text Qualifiers.
- If a subscriber already exists on the list, I want to... This option helps the system figure out what to do if a customer is already subscribed to the list. You have three options:
- Update the Specified Fields: This is the default and recommended choice. This option will update only the fields that you are specifying in your file. If there is a blank in the file for one of the records, this function will skip over the field and leave what was there already in place.
- Append New Fields: This option only adds new information. For example, if we are importing a file that includes first name and last name, and the contact we are importing has a first name, but no last name already on the list, it will only add the last name column to that contact's profile.
- Overwrite All Fields: This option will update and overwrite every field in the file. For example, if you have a file that contains blanks in the first name column, and you have contacts that have a first name, this will overwrite the value with blank instead of skipping over the field.
CONFIGURATION OPTIONS (OPTIONAL)
After you have defined segment data settings, you have the option to configure the import to only process rows where the selected column has a defined value.
Your file may have a column labeled "optIn" with the values "true" and "false". You would select the "optIn" column using the drop-down, and enter "true" into the adjacent textbox. This would ensure that the only rows of data processed by this import were for those records where "optIn" was "true".
WORKFLOW SETTINGS (OPTIONAL)
When importing a list of contacts you can select whether or not a contact will be entered into a List Subscription workflow that is configured for a specific list.
For example: If you are importing contacts to the Master List and have a List Import workflow where the entry event is configured for the Master List, check the box to allow all contacts imported via the list import to be entered into the workflow.
This import feature is available for both one-time and recurring list imports. The checkbox is checked by default if configuring an recurring import.
IMPORT LAYOUT SETTINGS
Finally, you must define Import Layout.
If column headers have the exact same name as the segment value, the application will match the column to the segment automatically. If they are not named the same, you will have the option to select with which segment the column should be associated:
1. Click the Please Select drop-down menu.
2. Find the corresponding segment.
3. Repeat for each column as necessary.
4. Click Next Step.
NOTE: After you have selected with which segment the column should line up, you have the option to give the field a default value. This will take any blank field and populate it with a value. For example, if you wanted to add a default first name, you could give each customer that doesn't have a first name, the name of "Loyal Customer."
If you'd like to add a segment that was not in your file, you can use the Add Segment button to add subsequent attributes. To learn how to do this, read more in Add Segments Using the Import List Wizard.
5. Confirm that each column is going to the right segment.
6. Once you have confirmed your settings and file layout, depending on import type, a button will prompt you to:
- Import File for One-Time Imports
- Save for Recurring Import settings.
After the process is done importing the contacts, you will receive a List Import Summary confirmation email.
If you want to unsubscribe a list of contacts, use the Unsubscribe Contacts option.
NOTE: If you unsubscribe a list of contacts, you can't re-subscribe them by the List Import Wizard and would need to contact Listrak Support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 717-627-4528 x1.
- Click Next Step.
- You will be presented with a confirmation screen.
- After you have confirmed the settings, click Unsubscribe Contacts to finish the unsubscribe import.
After the import has been completed, you will receive a List Import Summary confirmation email.