When creating a broadcast message or keyword campaign there are many elements in these messages, such as: links, special characters, emojis, coupons, and compliance language. However, it's important to understand message encoding requirements and how it may affect parts of your message, such as character count.
Be aware that messages are limited to 160 characters per message. View a real-time preview of message content located on the right-hand of the screen to be sure you're creating a message within character limits.
When creating a message, be conscious of the following:
- SMS messages are typically encoded as UTF-8 allowing for 160 characters per message.
- Special characters such as: emojis and apostrophes may change the encoding of your message to UTF-16.
- Message encoding that changes from UTF-8 to UTF-16 changes the amount of available characters in a message to 70 (instead of 160).
- Check the available character count with the real-time preview to avoid sending a message outside of the applicable limits.
- If a message contains 160 characters or less and is showing you're exceeding message count limit, please check the body of your message for special characters.
- Most special character encoding can be removed by pasting your message into Notepad and copying it into Listrak.