Email filter rules can be saved as segments and quickly applied to an email and reused across messages, which reduces time-consuming and redundant setup while maintaining consistency and organization across marketing campaigns.
CREATING A SEGMENT FROM SEGMENTS MANAGER
1. Navigate to Contacts > Segments.
2. Click New Segment to navigate to the segment editor.
NOTE: Segments as a criteria type is not available when building a segment in the Segments page because they cannot be nested.
CREATING SEGMENTS FROM EMAIL AUTHORING SEGMENT BUILDER
ADD A SINGLE SAVED SEGMENT TO AN EMAIL MESSAGE
After you have saved at least one segment, you may add it to an email message directly from the authoring page in just a couple of clicks.
- Select Segment.
- Choose a Segment from the dropdown.
CREATE A SAVED SEGMENT WITHIN THE MESSAGE AUTHORING BUILDER
Create a segment that can be used one time, or decide to save it after you have built it directly from the email authoring segment builder.
1. Select One-Time Filter.
2. Click Add Filter to navigate to the segment editor.
3. Add rules to your segment.
4. When finished, click Save As Segment.
5. Enter a unique name and click Save.
6. Click Apply Filter.
NOTE: Switching to the Entire List or Segment will clear the One-Time Filter you created, but if you saved the segment you can still access it by selecting the Segment radio button.
ADD MULTIPLE SAVED SEGMENTS TO AN EMAIL MESSAGE
After you have saved at least one segment, you may use Segments as a type of criteria when building a filter from the authoring page. Select to either include/exclude contacts (in/not in) from multiple saved segments.
When the criteria type Segments is applied to a filter, the option to Save As Segment is not available because saved segments cannot be nested.
NOTE: This criteria type is ONLY available when building filters in the Message Authoring page and NOT when building a saved segment in the Segment Manager page because they cannot be nested.
MANAGE YOUR SAVED SEGMENTS
After you have saved at least one segment saved you may view it in your account by navigating to Contacts > Segments. Click the Actions icon in the row of the segment to either Edit, Duplicate, or Delete that specific segment.
The ability to edit segments provides a lot of control over the maintenance of segmentation targeting strategy. Segments not only save time by allowing for reuse across messages, but they also enable you to update the definition of segmentation rules across all messages where the segment has been applied. It's like Saved Content for segmentation! This allows you to continually update and improve segmentation strategy without having to adjust filters on each message.
Important things to note when editing segments:
- If a segment is edited that was applied to a saved message causing the rule limit of 20 to be exceeded, the filter will need to be modified to address the issue before the message can be scheduled/sent.
- Segments that are applied to a scheduled message cannot be edited/deleted. To make changes to any segment applied to a scheduled message, unschedule the message(s) to enable the edit/delete functionality.
- To prevent changes to a segment from being applied to all saved messages where the segment is applied, simply Save As to create a new segment with the updated rules.
Segments can be duplicated from the actions menu, which helps quickly start with a copy of a segment's filter rules without having to recreate.
Segments can be deleted from the actions menu. However, segments that are applied to a scheduled message cannot be deleted to avoid impacting who was expected to receive the message at the time it was scheduled.
Interested in learning more about using Segment Filter 2.0 in your email marketing program? Contact your Account Manager for more information!