Whether it's to save space, add some visual interest, or make it easier to update images without touching the text, there are benefits to using background images in your email design. But when designing, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Keep it simple. Use a grid layout and avoid including complicated graphics that could distract from overlaid text.
- Be sure to not include any crucial content within the background image as it won't display when images are turned off (which is about 50% of the time).
- Assign a complimentary backup background color to display when images are turned off.
- Optimize your images to ensure faster download speeds. Readers are viewing emails on many different screen sizes and with varying levels of connection speeds, so it's important to consider the size of the content being delivered.
- Always save your background image at the size it's intended to be in the email. If your email is 600px wide and you want the background image to expand to the edges, be sure to save the image at 600px.
TIP: You can easily add background images in Listrak Composer!