After sending an email, you may want to follow up with another message based on the engagement activity, similar to a multipass message to non-openers. You can identify a segment of contacts based on the engagement you'd like to target, and apply as a filter to a new message. Some examples of segments you might want to target are non-openers/openers, non-clickers/clickers, non-purchasers/purchasers. It's easy to find contacts that opened, clicked, or purchased. You can create a segment to target those contacts, or those who didn't engage.
IDENTIFYING THE CONTACTS
In this article, we'll show how to send a follow up message to non-openers. These same steps can be used to target any segment of contacts who the original message was delivered to.
First we'll need to create a segment of all openers.
1. Navigate from the home menu to Analytics.
2. Go to Message Analytics.
3. Then Message Activity.
4. Click the underlined opened messages link for the desired message.
5. Click the people icon to Add/Update Profile Data of openers.
6. Select <Add Field Group> from the drop-down menu.
7. Enter a name for the field group.
8. Click Add.
9. Select <Add New Attribute> from the drop-down menu.
10. Select Check Box from the second drop-down menu.
11. Enter a name for the field.
13. Check the value.
14. Click Save.
The segment is processing and the status can be viewed at any time in the Progress Monitor.
15. Click Close.
TIP: Name the group and the field so that they are easily identifiable, such as the Re-sends and the date or the original message send.
APPLYING THE GROUP TO THE MESSAGE
Once the segment of openers is created, we can apply it to a message and target those who are not part of the segment as non-openers. Configure the filter by following the below steps in the legacy filter UI:
- Navigate from the home menu to Authoring.
- Create a New Message or edit a Saved Message.
- Scroll to Filter Settings.
- Click Edit Filter.
- Select Profile Field Groups from the drop-down menu.
- Select the field group you created.
- Select the field of openers you just created.
- Select Is Not Checked from the drop-down menu.
- Click Update.
- Then Apply Filter.
Using New Filter
Using Legacy Filter Settings
This filter now targets the contacts who haven't opened the message. Schedule or send the message with this filter to reach the targeted audience.
TIP: You may also want to apply a filter to target the original audience or create a similar segment of contacts that were sent the original message, otherwise not-opened may target contacts that weren't sent the original message.
NOTE: The data is accurate when the group is created. For best results, we recommend creating this group right before sending.
Tags: multipass, multi-pass, resend, follow up, non-openers, non-clickers