After sending an email, you may want to follow up with another message based on the engagement activity, similar to a multipass message to non-openers. You can create a segment of contacts based on the engagement you'd like to target, and apply as a filter to a new message. Some examples of segments you might want to target are non-openers/openers, non-clickers/clickers, non-purchasers/purchasers. It's easy to find contacts that opened, clicked, or purchased. We can create a segment to target those contacts, or those who didn't engage.
CREATING THE SEGMENT
In this article, we'll show how to send a follow up message to non-openers. These same steps can be used to target any segment of contacts who were delivered the original message.
First we'll need to create a segment of all openers.
1. Navigate from the home menu to Analytics.
2. Go to Message Analytics.
3. Then Message Activity.
4. Click the underlined opened messages link for the desired message.
5. Click the people icon to Create Segment of openers.
6. Select <Add Field Group> from the drop-down menu.
7. Enter a name for the field group. For example, the segment you're targeting and the date of the send: "Non-Openers 11-7".
8. Click Add.
9. Select <Add New Attribute> from the drop-down menu.
10. Select Check Box from the second drop-down menu.
11. Enter a name for the field.
13. Check the value.
14. Click Save.
The segment is processing and the status can be viewed at any time in the Progress Monitor.
15. Click Close.
APPLYING THE SEGMENT TO THE MESSAGE
Once the segment of openers is created, we can apply it to a message and target those who are not part of the segment as non-openers. Configure the filter by following the below steps.
- Navigate from the home menu to Authoring.
- Create a New Message or edit a Saved Message.
- Scroll to Segmentation Filter Settings.
- Click Edit Filter.
- Select Segmentation Field Groups from the drop-down menu.
- Select the segment of openers you just created.
- Select Is Not Checked from the drop-down menu.
- Click Update.
- Then Apply Filter.
This filter now targets the contacts who haven't opened. Schedule or send the message with this filter to reach the targeted audience.
NOTE: The data is accurate when the segment is created. For best results, we recommend creating this segment right before sending.
Tags: multipass, multi-pass, resend, follow up, non-openers, non-clickers